Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Good To The Last Drop" A Farewell to Postum (reprised from 1/08)


Doesn't everyone has a favorite childhood taste memory? You know what I mean. That special something you just have to have when life knocks you down and sucker punches you in the gut. When you need some mothering but you ARE the mother. That one palatable, culinary mouthful of magic that will bring you back to your favorite childhood blankey, visits with a doting grandmother or afternoon tea parties on your back porch.

Just this very morning I was reminded of one of those very childhood taste memories. After suffering for days with the what was probably the flu, I awakened long before dawn. Coughing, congested and achy I just couldn't get comfortable. After tossing around for an hour or so, I came to the conclusion that I'd better get up or my poor husband would also have to suffer the consequence of my restless night's sleep.

I enjoy a little time to myself just like the next mom but 3 AM is not my idea of "Me Time!" Weighing my options at this early hour between infomercials, old movies and sitting in the dark, I decided to make yet another, cup of herbal tea.

Although I do enjoy the occasional "spot o tea," I had quickly become bored with the watery, lack luster stuff after consuming what now seems to be gallons in the past few days.

I started down the stairway and into the kitchen, set the tea pot on the burner, opened my cupboard and proceeded to search for the perfect "Celestial Seasoning." Chamomile, Mint Magic, Tropic of Strawberry, Country Peach Passion, nothing seemed to "Zing" out at me. Sleepy time, Orange Spice, Black Cherry Berry, Hot Cocoa, Hot Cider, no, there must be something more. As I moved box after box I realized that my choices were quickly running out. Just as I was ready to resolve myself to a cup of sleepy time, a familiar sight caught my eye.

Way back in the far corner of my cabinet, a place rarely ventured, was A small glass jar, white lid, blue with white lettering. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Could it be? Straining my arm I reached far into the corner and grasped the jar. As I pulled it toward me I realized that, yes, it was what I thought it was.

Postum, an unbelievable find! You may not know this, but Postum is no longer in production so running to the store to purchase a fresh new jar is just NOT an option. Excitedly, I twisted the cap to reveal it's contents. To my disappointment a mere tablespoon of the brown, rich smelling granules were left.

Disregarding the expiration date, which was probably around 1997, I scraped the bottom of the jar to free the granules of petrified powder, then dumped every last granule into my favorite mug. I mixed in a little sugar, being careful not to over sweeten. I noticed that, as a bonus, next to the postum jar was a small container of that fake, dried creamer stuff. (I'm sure my mom would say it causes cancer but I just couldn't help myself, it definitely completes the whole Postum experience). I put a heaping scoop of creamer in my cup without checking the expiration date on that either! The teapot began to whistle, echoing my feelings of glee.

Grasping the teapot with a hot pad I slowly poured the steaming water into my mug and began to stir. The water turned to a caramel brown color. A small amount of foam formed on top and the familiar aroma of the enticing elixir wafted through the kitchen.

I took a sip, instantly, my mind went back to weekends with Grandma Tena, tea paries and cold rainy days wrapped in a blanket.

I snuggled on the couch enjoying my hot steamy mug of childhood comfort. I sipped slowly hoping to make this bit of childhood last but, just like that red valentine heart box of See's candies you thought you would never be able to finish, soon the mug was empty.

Emotions welled inside me as I realized my childhood memories would never again be awakened by the comforting scent and bitter, nutty taste of Postum. As I placed the empty mug in the sink I thought to myself, now that really was "Good to the Last Drop."

8 comments:

The Haynies said...

What is up with Postum?? My mom loves, Robert's parents love it. I guess I have never tried it, so I can't say it is good or bad. I just don't get while you all morn the loss of it.

Lorna said...

Hi Amy, I love reading your blog. I never liked postum but I think you should read my friend Sally's blog at:
http://showerwall.blogspot.com/2009/01/postum-anyone.html
She loves postum too and found a recipe for it. Myself, I need chocolate, it is my comfort food. I like a whole pound of See's and I like to take little bites out of each one. I think this started with Grandma Packer giving me my first box of chocolates when I was 8. I didn't share either.

Sara-Lynn said...

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling bad. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your last cup. You should have come over or called because I was up with Eliza, it could have been a party. Did you happen to see the infomercial for the haan steam cleaner? It's becoming a favorite. Hope you are feeling better!

haley said...

So I don't know Postum either. Sorry I can't fully grasp the disappointment of it not being in production anymore. I thought it was very nice of you to get out of bed. I usually just stay when I'm sick...let Aaron suffer with me. I know, terrible.

Cyndi W said...

Oh man...just reading about your Postum moment was making me salivate! I kept thinking, Oh I have to ask Amy where she bought it I can't seem to find it anywhere. Then you crushed my hope of ever having a "Good to the Last Drop Moment", I had no idea they stopped making it...so sad!

Ginger said...

Do they still make Postum? I think I need to run out an get me some-not that I ever drank it but my mom did and of course I want to always be just like my mom! thanks for reminding me of the memory. Just the way your wrote those words about Postum....

Ginger said...

I do hope it made you feel better :)

justjen said...

Oh Amy I love reading your blog it is fun and witty, oozing pure Amy through and through! You are the so fun!