Monday, March 16, 2009

"What? Me, a Counselor?"


A few years ago my friend Haley and I decided to run the 5K Race For the Cure. I really worked hard to be able to run the whole thing. I say "I" because Haley was already able to run that far but she ran with me almost every morning for a few months until I could do it too. It ended up being an amazing experience. It's so great to have friends who encourage you to do things you never thought you could.

The other day, my friend Shelley called me. She's involved with the "A New You" program with Barbara Barrington Jones. It's sort of like an EFY for women. You get to spend a week in dorm rooms with other women and go to amazing classes on fashion, style etc. plus hear a lot of great inspirational speakers. The best part is that you have no laundry, dishes or meal prep the whole week (love it!).

I attended the program four summers ago in Hawaii at the BYU Hawaii campus. I went with my friend Cindy. We had the greatest time ever! Now the program is being held in Utah (aloha Hawaii). I loved the time I had to think about life and my goals and think of all that is ahead of me. It was a real boost.

So anyway, my friend, Shelley, asked me if I would be a counselor this summer. "What, me a counselor?" I don't know, I never really think of myself that way. I mean, I really loved the program but I wasn't 100% on board with the nightly "goofy song singing" time. You see, "singing" time reminds me of girl's camp and I am a girl's camp hater (it's true, I admit it). That whole "gratuitous goofy behavior thing" has always turned me off. Now don't get me wrong, I can goof off with the best of them it's just that I have never been comfortable goofing off when you're expected to (hey, that takes all the fun out of it, right?).

I did love going to "A New You" so I agreed. I guess I'll have to practice doing "goofy song time" so I can be a good counselor (won't my family love that).

I am looking forward to August. I know that whenever I step out of my comfort zone I grow in ways that are amazing to me. So here goes!!

Oh yeah, Shelley told me that I need to send her a picture along with my "bio." My What??? This should be FUN!!

4 comments:

Tara Rickards said...

That is so awesome! You will be great!

Sara-Lynn said...

You will be such a fun couselor. I wish I was going. Lucky girls!!

Tiffany said...

So fun! You will be great.

Cyndi W said...

Amy you are so funny...you are the kind of counselor that group needs to even things out. If everyone is all sweet and sappy and not real...how fun is that! I'd want you as my counselor. And no I don't sing camp song. EVER!!!