Monday, January 19, 2009

Will My Kids Think They Weren't Loved?

Dear Kinross Kids,
I was wanting to post some Christmas pictures to my blog so I went to my picture file and opened my pictures only to realize there weren't many to choose from. It is then that I realized, "I am the WORST about taking pictures!!" This problem did not just happen either, I have been a terrible picture taker my whole mothering life.

It is good that I have realized my picture taking problem, since recognition is the first step to change. (yippee!)

In order to "heal" I needed to figure out "why" I have a "picture taking aversion" and after much soul searching I feel I have come up with the top three reason why I am "shutter box challenged."

1. My mom never took pictures.
That's right, the mother is always to blame. I'm sure my kids will have plenty of things to blame on me. Harsh but true, my mom never took pictures. Therefor,I never learned to take pictures when I was growing up. (I did, however, learn to cook. Hopefully this will make up for my lack of "clicking" the shutter).

2. I was always too fat.
Sad but true, this has been an excuse that has come to haunt me over the years. The trouble with this one is 15 years ago when I was too fat, I looked pretty good! I blew it!

3. I like to enjoy the day and NOT just take the pictures.
This is one excuse that I am actually proud of. I really DO enjoy the day. I love cooking for my family, playing games or enjoying whatever activity we are doing. (What can I say, some moms "click", I cook)(not bad).

I hope you don't think that you weren't loved. I hope you have some amazing memories of growing up in my home. I'm sure you know that, in my home, love is not measured by a clicking shutter, but by the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen(twisted, but true).

So, when you bring your kids to my house and want to take a trip down memory lane, don't expect a huge library of meticulously scrapbooked pages documenting your amazing childhood. I hold those memories in my heart where I can cherish them everyday. They are ready to come out and be shared whenever we sit down to a good meal, stroll on the beach, camp or play at a lake. We can play "remember when" for hours and hours and we can laugh and cry together. Just like I do with my brothers and sisters.

Love you kiddos, Mom

3 comments:

haley said...

I love this post because it is so honest and, as always for Amy, funny. I don't think your kids will feel unloved, especially with their full tummies!!

Tara Rickards said...

That was really sweet. Amy, you are always enjoying the moment and that is what makes you so much fun to be around! My kids will grow up taking pictures and getting takeout! Haha! I wish I loved to cook! I try to be good about it and I really should be better.

Stacey said...

You are one of the only ones I know who remembers the cutest little stories about your boys and Heather. You tell them so well that it's almost like we were there and we don't need a picture to see it. They all know their stories and will pass them down to their kids just like you're doing.

Don't fret on the picture thing.