Sunday, November 16, 2008

Elder Spencer Reid Kinross - Kentucky Louisville Mission











I was thinking about Elder Kinross today and missing him. I can't believe he has been gone for almost 8 months. Time certainly does NOT fly. Although I am so pleased with his decision to serve a mission, it is also very difficult to have him out of our home and anticipate another 16 plus months without him.
I was really surprised at all the emotions I have felt having another little bird fly the nest. Just when I think I am doing ok, someone will ask me how Elder Kinross is doing and I will get tears in my eyes or in church someone will talk about missionaries and I will start to cry. I know it sounds really selfish but I just want to hug him a little bit.
Spencer has always been a snuggly child. When he was a baby he would cry everytime I put him down until he was about 10 months old. As he grew he never outgrew his "blankie" or a good snuggle.
Spencer loves to get his back scratched and would often stand in front of me, take my hand and put it on his back to give it a scratch. Some kids go through the "don't hug me phase, Spencer never did. He has always loved to get and give hugs.
He is very loving and accepting of others.
Early on he has had a strong sense of right and wrong. It was not uncommon to hear Spencer tell his brothers to "change the channel mom doesn't let us to watch that show."
He has grown into a loving and righteous young man. It is my greatest honor to be his mother. I look forward to seeing his life unfold.
I love you Spencer, love mom

7 comments:

shelleyv said...

What an amazing and cute Boy/elder. I know your life will be blessed because of his service.

Also, yea! bigger pictures!!!!

haley said...

Amy,
I visited your blog today and cried reading about your feelings on being the mom of a missionsry. I will feel like you do when Tyler is gone. I cry just thinking about him being away. I am so proud of you for doing it anyway!! I love you.
Haley

Terri said...

It's hard having our children away from us... knowing they are making good decisions calms a mother's heart. I know how you must feel though, I have cried many times longing for hugs when my girls are away visiting their dad.

kahnfam said...

It was good hearing from you. We miss everyone there in Clovis. I hope you and your family is doing well.

Stacey said...

Cute blog Amy!

It's been a long time since we've seen that big smile of his. It's hard to have someone gone so long. I had 5 brothers leave on missions. I hated it. I think a phone call a week should be mandatory.

Welcome to the blogosphere. Miss ya!

Sara-Lynn said...

I really love these pictures. What cute kids. Hope you had fun with your new BFF today!

Lorna said...

Amy, nothing new in your life since November??? Please update! I love the quotes, I remember your Mom saying those things. I can remember the way she said each one too!